Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 1 April 2017

Merpeople of the Sands

It sounds like the title of a novel; however, the merpeople of the sands are not mythical, but very real.  As it’s April 1st, also known as April Fool’s Day when pranksters like to have a practical joke or two,  I’ve lightened the mood of my post this week. I have my husband’s permission to share this wonderful image from around forty-five years ago.


He was on holiday with his newly divorced sister Gill, and her young children, and we have a hunch that this is her work. Gill was a not only very artistic and creative, but also had a great sense of fun. I’m sure her girls would have joined in with creating this unlikely sand merman too.


And from the ridiculous to the sublime, here are some real merpeople, beautifully crafted here in the sands of Playa Blanca, Lanzarote some fifteen years ago I think. The artists still appear there on a regular basis creating some real works of art for the admiration of passers-by and to earn a few euros.






Why not join us today at Sepia Saturday, where our picture prompt is two boys doing what people always like to do on the beach, burying themselves and their family.




12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sand sculptures are a bit of a trick really, as the mixture used to create them is hardly normal sand, but they are very cleverly done all the same and I do like your rather cold-looking merman!

      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  2. Such a pin-up of your husband, complete with shell belly-button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect matches for today. Hats off to your husband for being a good sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful - both pictures. That's a very succulent looking fishtail your husband has - i could imagine someone offering to buy a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby looks a bit Fishy but the sheer Scale is Jaw- Dropping!
    I hope he has never been a Battered Husband?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed! That your husband agreed to using his fishy photograph - or was he whatever the equivalent of a mermaid is - merman? There is a shiny sheen to the tail, that it is hard to believe it was created out of sand. A great fun match!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely perfect! But how long did he tolerate being half buried before rushing back into the sea?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent match for prompt...buried in sand and a bit of optical illusion too! I forgot there might be mermen out there in the sea also...now I think it's time for a beach trip soon. I do love sand sculptures by artists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hubs is so modest! What a fun photo and evidently a fun day too. There is a big sand sculpture festival/contest at Virginia Beach every year. Last year vandals struck. I can't imagine how heartsick and/or angry the artists must have felt.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.